Thursday, March 14, 2013

Rainbow Gold Cupcakes

Every year it feels like the holidays are arriving faster than ever. 


As a little chica I would wait and wait for Christmas to come, my Christmas list ready since mid-summer for the happy handoff on Santa's lap. 



I would count down the days one by one and from November to December and it seemed like it was like 465 days until Christmas, instead of 30. 



But now that I'm older I can't seem to slow down time fast enough, in one moment I'm making milk chocolate hearts for Valentine's Day, than I'm hiding Easter eggs,



before I can even stop to think I'm picking out Halloween costumes


and then before I can even blink I'm flinging up my Christmas tree just to begin gently wrapping everyone of  my 1,500 breakable ornaments ten minutes later.


So it's no surprise to me that this year St. Patrick's Day and Easter are all crammed together in the same month.





 In honor of this year's holiday mash up I decided to make cupcakes that celebrate los dos ( both of them).


They are sweet little rainbow striped cupcakes with a great big golden chocolate filled egg. They are colorful enough to please a Leprechaun and have just enough chocolate for Easter bunny approval!


I thought it would be perfect to make these cupcakes in a flavor that would highlight their sunny appeal, so I replaced the vanilla extract in my buttercream with orange extract.


I even spiked my cake batter with un poquito ( a little bit) too!


The result was a colorful and feliz (happy) cupcake on the outside, with a vibrant orange inside that was like biting into a little piece of Sunshine!

                                                           INGREDIENTS

For Orange Buttercream Frosting-adapted from Gale Gand Recipe
  • 3 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 1 cup butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 to 2 tablespoons whipping cream

  •  
     
     
                                                         DIRECTIONS
     
    In a standing mixer fitted with a whisk, mix together sugar and butter. Mix on low speed until well blended and then increase speed to medium and beat for another 3 minutes.

    Add orange extract and cream and continue to beat on medium speed for 1 minute more, adding more cream if needed for spreading consistency.
     
     
    For the Orange Cupcakes-
     
    1 box of yellow or white cake mix
     
    1 tsp orange extract
     
    Follow the instructions on the cake mix box and simply add in a tsp of orange extract.
     
    Rainbow Stripes
    1 can of vanilla frosting ( Pillsbury)
    colorful dye ( enough colors for a rainbow)
     
    1.In order to make the rainbow stripes that run along the cupcakes, you need to take a can of classic vanilla frosting.
     
    2. Divide about  1/4 cup of frosting into 6 different cups ( or less if you choose) for each color of your rainbow.
     
    3. Microwave each cup for about 15 secs until it's a pourable consistency, than add your colors to each cup and mix.
     
    4. One color at a time using a spoon, drizzle color along each cupcake until you have a complete rainbow of colors.
     
    For the Golden Eggs
    Cadbury Eggs
    luster dust
    vodka
    paint brush
     
    1. You need to take your Cadbury Eggs and use a edible paint called luster dust, which you can purchase at your local cake supply store or online here.
     
    2. I usually just use the top from the luster dust and pour a sprinkling of it directly into the cap.  Then you will need just a little pour of Vodka, enough to wet the paint but not overflow into the cap with the luster dust.
     
    3. Next, dip your paint brush into the luster dust/vodka mix and paint directly onto your Cadbury Egg, leave them to dry on a piece of wax paper or baking sheet.
     
    4. Once your eggs are dry, gently place them on top of each cupcake, than get ready for all the oohhs and ahhhs you will get from these pretty little treats!
     
     
     
     
                                                            


    8 comments:

    Wendy @ Ramblings from the Sunshine State said...

    Very cute! Love how colorful they are!

    Visiting from Simply Sweet Home!

    Unknown said...

    Hello Jasmine
    I'm visiting from the hop. I love your blog. I''m your new follower. These cupcakes look awesome. I'm going to try them for my little one. Hope you will visit my blog and hopefully follow back.
    Best
    Angel

    chica chocolatina said...

    Thanks, so much for visiting me ladies! @Angel Allen let me know how you like them, and I would love to visit your blog!

    Unknown said...

    OMG I just died and went to cupcake heaven!!!! I just found your blog and I'm your newest follower on GFC and FB from my personal account to make it count! Thanks for posting this delicious recipe. I'm no baker but I think I can make this! I found you on Foodtastic Friday! Would love if you visit me one of these days if you get a chance, In the meantime I will enjoy all your delicious recipes. Abrazos, Lizy@http://justdipitinchocolate.blogspot.com

    Brenda @ Chatting Over Chocolate said...

    W O W !!! These look AMAZING!!! Anything topped with a Cadbury egg has me instantly drooling ;) Love how colorful you made them too!! Fantastic job! ;)

    chica chocolatina said...

    Thanks, Brenda :)

    Unknown said...

    Those look amahhhhhzing! Pinned it. :-) Thanks for sharing at Family Fun Friday!
    Monica
    http://happyandblessedhome.com

    John Albert said...

    I always want people to learn more about fashion. Therefore, I always recommend your page to others. The Movie Fashion

    01 09 10