Saturday, February 23, 2013

Michelle Obama's Presidential White & Dark Chip Cookies

While flipping through an issue of Family Circle Magazine a couple months ago, I found a cookie recipe contest.

It involved First Lady Michelle Obama and the opposing candidate's wife.......


a lot of flour, sugar and chocolate chips were flung between them all in the name of friendly competition.

When it was all said and done Michelle Obama's Presidential White & Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies were the last cookie standing, winning the contest by a crumb! 


I had cast my vote for these purely based on the fact that they looked delicioso, but I never did officially give them a try.

So when one said muchacha had a book report due all about Our First Lady, I figured why not sweeten the deal un poquito ( a little bit) and hand out fresh baked cookies while delivering the speech!  ( Hey that's the perks of having a baker as a Mami).



Anyway the result was a tender cookie that had the taste of a shortbread with alternating bites of white and dark chocolate that gave it a yummy twist. 


I added in some red, white and blue sprinkles to give these cookies a splash of Presidential pizazz!


recipe adapted from: Michelle Obama white and dark cookie recipe
                                                                
                                                            Ingredients

2 ¼ cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 stick Crisco butter-flavored solid shortening
¾ cup granulated sugar
¾ packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 cup each- white chocolate chips, milk chocolate chips, mint chocolate chips (or Andes mint pieces) ( my cookies don't have the mint chips, you can also use another add in if your not fond of it either) ex, butterscotch chips or peanut butter chips
2 cups walnuts ( I didn't use any nuts, fear of peanut allergies for kids in class)


                                                                   Recipe
1.Heat oven to 375 degrees. In small bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt. In large bowl with an electric mixer, cream butter, vegetable shortening, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract.

2.Add eggs one at a time beating well after each addition. On low speed, beat in flour mixture. By hand stir in white and milk chocolate chips, mint chips and walnuts. ( at this point I would suggest sticking cookie dough in fridge for about 20 minutes, my cookies were flatter because I skipped this step)

3.Drop rounded tablespoons onto un-greased baking sheets. Bake at 375 for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. ( I like to take my cookies out right before they're too golden, to eliminate darker cookies)

4. Cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes: remove to wire racks to cool


5 comments:

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic said...

When I heard about her white and dark cookies, I knew I wanted to try them too. And after seeing this, I better make it sooner rather than later! Good job!

chica chocolatina said...

gracias, Bianca....you won't be disappointed!

Unknown said...

i love the pizzaz you added! White and Dark Chocolate?! yumo! Thanks for sharing at Show Me Your Plaid Monday's!

Unknown said...

These look delish! I might have to try them this week!

Unknown said...

Thank you for coming to my link party at Memories by the Mile. These cookies look so fun and yummy.
New Follower and I pinned them.
Hope to see you next week!
Wanda Ann @ http://www.memoriesbythemile.com/

01 09 10